Saturday, March 10, 2012

JOY

We have had some very interesting conversations in our home lately.  Our kids have a LOT of questions and even have their own ideas about adoption. 

Hannah talks all about HOW she wants to decorate her sister's bedroom with butterflies.
Jordan wants to know WHY it's going to take so long for this to happen.
And Solon is persistently asking WHAT her name is going to be.

Yesterday I just finally asked Solon, "Buddy, what do YOU want her name to be"?  He thought for a long time.  "Ummmmm... How about, Maggie" (That's our dog's name).  "How about, Callie". (That's our Cat).  Then, it finally came to him....."Happy.  Let's name her Happy"!  My reply (with a big smile), "Well, what about Joy"?  "Yes!" he said with a huge smile.  "Joy, Joy, let's name her Joy"!

For the rest of the day I thought about the word JOY.  I thought about the song I use to sing as a little girl, and that I sing to my kids now:
"I've got joy, down in my heart. 
Deep Deep down in my heart.
Spell it!
J-O-Y
Down in my heart.
Deep Deep down in my heart!
Jesus put it there...."

And I thought about this passage of scripture:
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus".  1 Thes. 5:16

Be joyful ALWAYS?
Pray CONTINUALLY?
Give thanks in ALL circumstances?

Wow, that's tough!
It's hard to be joyful when we're hurting, when we feel alone and when we feel like giving up.
It's hard to pray when we are growing impatient and we find ourselves asking, "WHY hasn't God answered my prayer?!"
And it's hard to give thanks when we don't particularly like the circumstance we find ourselves in.
BUT (Don't you just love the "But God" moments found all throughout scripture?)

No matter how we may feel at this very moment...
We are to be Joyful
We are to keep on praying
We are to give thanks

Because....
THIS is God's WILL FOR US! 
Not my will, but His.

No more excuses for why I just can't be joyful. 
It is God's WILL. 
BE JOYFUL ALWAYS
PRAY, PRAY and PRAY some more
GIVE THANKS - even when you don't feel like it

Do you remember the rest of the song? 
"Jesus put it there, and nothing can destroy it, stroy it, stroy it, HUH!
I've got joy down in my heart,
Deep Deep down in my heart"

May you find JOY today, resting in your Heavenly Father's will for your life.
And may you let NOTHING destroy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment