Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What Is Your Fragrance?

The fragrance of lavender brings back so many sweet memories of my Grandmother.  Although I am not a big fan of that particular scent, I love the memories it brings.  Grandma loved everything lavender - candles, soaps and perfumes.  When she passed away, she left us such sweet memories:
  • The memory of baking snicker doodles together - she knew they were my favorite! 
  • Her love for music.  She was always humming (I can still hear the tune, "la ti da, la da da....") 
  • Her love for birds - she knew every one of them by name, and guess what?...I LOVE birds too!  My friend actually makes fun of my bird knowledge!  I admit, it is a bit strange:)
  • Her sweet, sweet letters.  She wrote to me all throughout my years in college, and today it makes me cry just to run my hands across each hand-written word.
  • The memories of picking wildflowers together - they were her favorite.
These wildflowers set in the middle of our dining table. 
Oh, she would be so proud.

Thinking of my grandmother today brought me to a place of reflection:
As a Followers of Christ, what will I leave behind when I pass from this Earth?
2 Corinthians:14-15
"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.  For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing".


An "aroma" FILLS a room.  This particular passage tells us that we are to fill every place we go with "the aroma of Christ"... leaving behind a Spiritual Scent. 

How have we twisted this over time? 
There are so many other things we feel we need to leave behind:
  •  Money
  • Fame/A Name for ourselves
  • Success - in sports, in business & in everything
  • "Best Parent Award" - I gave my children everything I never had!
  • Lots of Earthly goods (to fight over when I'm gone)
But how many of us can genuinely say:
"I just want to leave the aroma of Christ EVERYWHERE I go - even if that's all I leave on this Earth."











No comments:

Post a Comment